The University in committed to the cause of a dynamic equilibrium within the society and environment value added education, while keeping the principles of Excellence, Efficiency and Equity in its frame. By identifying social requirement, the University shall generate an environment to provide career solutions through compatible academic programme contributing towards.
To evolve and execute educational & developmental programmers, training programmes, faculty enrichment programmes, social awareness programmes, knowledge acquisition, development, preservation, dissemination and extension of the frontiers of knowledge in the interest of ‘Community at large’.
Bhavnagar is traditionally known for its cultural heritage in the western India with its last princely ruler Shri Krishnakumarsinhji who was the first to donate his princely state to the Nation. Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation received his initial college education in Shamaldas College during 1888, which is today run by Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University. Bhavnagar District is situated between 21.18-22.18 Longitude and 71.51-72.18 Latitude. The district encompasses a total area of 12,048 sq. km.
The University was established way back in 1978 by the state of Gujarat and the total area of the campus is 269 acres, spread over 3 location. The University is providing high quality of Teaching and Research Programmes in faculties as diverse as Science, Arts, Commerce, Engineering, Medicine, Management, Rural Studies and Law. The University has at present 20 Post Graduate Departments and 4 Recognized Institutes.
At present following Post Graduate Departments impart post-graduate education and research in different disciplines.
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Life Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Marine Sciences
- Department of Computer Science and Applications
- Department of Bioinformatics
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Gujarati
- Department of Sociology
- Department of History
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Economics
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Library and information Science
Research Areas of the Post Graduate Departments
Research activity all over the world is considered as the backbone of knowledge economy. Realizing its importance, Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University is actively involved in carrying out research with international recognition across all the faculties. All the Departments, are involved in full time Ph.D. Programme, research and consultancy as per the need of knowledge driven economy.
The Faculty of Science is involved in research areas of Synthetic, Coordination Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Coordination, Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Marine Pollution, Magnetic Fluid, Nanotechnology, Astrophysics, Halophytes, Microbial Physiology, Animal Physiology, Marine, Bio-remediation, Marine Ecology, Theory of Relativity, Functional Analysis and Number Theory, Artificial Intelligence & Multimedia, Genomics, Proteomics, Drug design, Database Technology, etc.
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in involved in research areas of Economics of Higher Education, International Trade, Industrial Economics, Environmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, Vedant, Lalit Vangmay. Dalit Studies, Environment and Gender Studies, Short Stories, Clinical and Social Psychology, Modern Period, Freedom Movements, Dalit History, Regional History, Drama, Poetry, Fiction, Indian and English Literature, ELT, etc.
Commerce & Management Faculty
The Postgraduate departments of the Faculty of Commerce and Management are engaged in the research areas of Financial Management, Banking, Marketing Management, Shipping Management, Disaster Management, HRD, IT Management, Business Counseling and Marketing Services.
The Faculty of Education undertakes research in the areas of Teacher Education, Value Education, Guidance and Counseling, Education Methods and Educational technology.
Faculty Recognition – Academic Awards
The Faculty members are recipients of Commonwealth Fellowship, STINT Visiting Fellowship (Sweden), Canadian Fellowship, Netherlands Fellowship, Hungarian Fellowship, Asia Fellows Award (Ford Foundation), CSIR Emeritus Scientist, Ramanna Fellowship, UGC Career Awards for Young Scientists, INSA Visiting Fellow and Vikram Sarabhai Award.
Student’s Recognition – Academic Awards
The students of the University also have received recognition for excellence in academics by way of awards like BOYSCAST, FTPYS, Vikram Sarabhai Award, Best Research Paper Awards, UGC – JRF and CSIR – JRF.
Students Recognition at National & International Level – Sports & Cultural Activities
Quite a good number of students over a period of time have received national and international recognition in sports and cultural activities like Table Tennis, Basketball, Yoga, Youth Exchange Programme, Folk Dance and Drama.
Students Outreach Activities
The University Strongly believes inculcating the ethos and values among the students and is encouraging them to undertake social services such as engaging in activities like blood Donation, Leadership Camps, Save the Girl Child, Watershed Programmes, AIDS Awareness Programmes, Literacy Mission, Social Awareness Programmes / Plays, Industrial Tours, Republic Day Camps, Vaccination Campaigns and Environmental Awareness Camps.
Research Activities Acknowledged by the Government
Considering the importance of research activities being carried out by the University in the most relevant and high-profile areas such as nanotechnology, Marine Ecology, Intellectual Property Rights & its Management and Entrepreneurship, Government of India and Gujarat Government have recognized several Departments as Centres of Excellence and Science and Technology Cells for improving PG teaching and Research to make Bhavnagar University at par with National Laboratories/ Institutes. Following Centres of Excellence and Cells are actively engaged in research and consultancy services.
- Centre of Excellence in Nano-technology: It is funded by Gujarat Council of Science & Technology, Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar. The Center has developed various application of nanotechnology by synthesis of mono dispersed nano particles.
- State Level Nanotechnology Research Centre: The Centre has recently been allocated a grant of Rs. 5.75 crores by the Industries Department of Government of Gujarat as a success story based on the proven track record of the projects undertaken in the past on Nanotechnology.
- Ocean Science and Technology Cell for Western Coast: It in funded by Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India, New Delhi. This Cell has focused mainly in the areas of Biodiversity of Coastal Ecosystem, Plankton, Ecology and Productivity, Coastal Pollution & its Control, Microbial Ecology and Socio-Economic aspects of Coastal Ecosystem and its management.
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell: It is funded by National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board, Government of India, New Delhi as a part of knowledge base entrepreneurship promotion. This Cell has started entrepreneurship Promotion. This Cell has started entrepreneurship Promotion among the students and apart from promotion is involved in various issues concerning the entrepreneurship in Saurashtra Region. Cell is involved in imparting Skill Development through Science and Technology (STST) Programmes for differently abled students in the field of computer technology.
- University Industry Linkage Cell
To cater to the needs of local entrepreneurs, University has started U & I Linkage Cell which is actively engaged in providing technical solutions of various problems of Chemical and Engineering industries in the region
- Corporate Services
Department of Chemistry is recognized by Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Government of Gujarat as Environment Auditor of Class-1 and for Schedule-I & II Industries.
- Gandhian Study CentreMohandas Karamchand Gandhi Father of the Nation had received early education at Shamaldas College in Bhavnagar. Department of History is therefore involved in research activities of various aspects of the Gandhian Philosophy, For the purpose, University Grants Commission, New Delhi, sanctioned a Gandhian Study Centre for further research and to inculcate and reinforce the Gandhian culture in the region.
Distance Learning is an important aspect in the present era of globalization. University has started an External Department in the faculty of Arts and Commerce. The department in fact was started with an idea to provide education to the mainstream areas as a part of full time course. Thousands of students are enrolled every year for graduation and post graduation courses. The fee structure is quite affordable to the students.
Training in Languages
The Department of English offers a state-of-the-art LAN based multiple language and Career Laboratory. Students with varied background under the Society for Creation of Opportunities through Proficiency in English (SCOPE) avails Cambridge ESOL Training Examinations, which is a registered society formed by Government of Gujarat with a specific purpose to enhance the proficiency amongst the youth all over the state by imparting quality training in functional and practical business English. The Department also offers introductory course in French & Spanish.
The University in the recent past has started several self finance courses in its post graduate departments for post graduate degrees as under:
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics
- Master of Arts in Sanskrit
- Master of Library & Information Science
- Master of Business Administration
- Post Graduate Diploma Computer Application
- Post Graduate Diploma Business Management
- Post Graduate Diploma Disaster Management
- Post Graduate Diploma Shipping Management
Besides, the University has also given recognition to some of the national and international institutes for promoting interdisciplinary research activities, in tune with the requirements of the present time.
- Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute, G. B. Marg, Bhavnagar (A constituent Institure of CSIR, Government of india, new Delhi)
- B V Pharmaceutical Education and Research Development, Thaltej, Ahmedabad.
- K K Jani Institute of Medical Lab, Technology, Amargadh, Bhavnagar.
- K L Institute for the Deaf, Vidyanagar, Bhavnagar.
The University has three constituent Colleges since its inception. The Samaldas Arts College in more than 120 years old. Sir P.P. Institute of Science offers under-graduate in various science subjects and a Post Graduate course in industrial Chemistry. The M. J. College of Commerce is offering graduation in Commerce and Business Administration. A diploma Programmes in Pharmacy is also offered by S. S. Pharmacy College run by the University.
Affiliated Colleges Grant-Aid
There are fifteen (15) Colleges (Grant-in-aid) affiliated to Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University importing various teaching programmes in the areas of Science, Arts Education, Commerce, Engineering, Medicine, and Rural Studies.
There are twenty our (24) Self-Finance Colleges affiliated to Bhavanagar University offering a range of teaching programmes in the areas of Arts, Education, Commerce, Social Work, Computer Languages, Computer Science and Medicine.
Post Graduate Centres
There are fourteen (14) Post Graduate Centres of the University running various Programmes in the areas of Social Work, Social Sciences, Languages, Computer Science and Medicine.
In the context of the global perspective, University has drawn an ambitious roadmap in tune with its vision; and accordingly, the University aims to focus now on the post Graduate education in the following areas:
- Master of Entrepreneurship Development
- Master of Science in Nanotechnology & Nanosciences
- Master of Arts in Development Studies
- Master of Business Economics
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Trade
- Post Graduate Diploma in Bio-informatics.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management
Innovative ideas keep on emerging from the academic fraternity. And therefore research centers will play key roles for new inventions. To realize this, the University has proposed following centres.
- Centre for development Research & Management
- Centre foreducational Studies & Research
- Centre for Quality Control & Quality Assurance for Chemical Sciences.
Officer On Special Duty(Registrar)
Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University
Bhavnagar – 364 0012, Gujarat. India.
Phone: (0278) 2428014 Fax : (0278) 2513943